Friday, December 7, 2007

Jump Cafe and Bar - The Full Story

Click here for summary


Darren made reservations at the restaurant as a celebration for my already-passed birthday.
There were surprisingly few people at the restaurant, considering it was summerlicious. The server of our table was attentive. I ordered a drink called the Tropic (citrus-fused vodka, mango juice and soda water) as well as the Summerlicious menu: 1) Thai Lime Shrimp Cocktail with cabbage, coconut and crispy shallot dressing, 2) Baked Crespelle with lemon-basil ricotta, filetto dipomodoro and buffalo mozzarella, and 3) Dark Chocolate Torte with walnut dulce de leche and vanilla ice cream.

Drinks came shortly after. My drink was really good. I usually prefer them sweet and girly.The e Tropic was not as sweet as I'd imagine, but very good nonetheless. When my salad came, it was not what I expected. The shrimps were small, something you could get at the freezer section in the local supermarket. There was an overwhelming amount of cabbage. The dressing was good, but not enough for the large amount of cabbage. As guilty as I was, I left most of the salad untouched I ate all the shrimp, otherwise their sacrifice would be pointless. The amusing thing was that the waiter came with a plate for Darren as well, and said it was compliment of the chef. It was a cherry tomato in a rectangular plate with a small block of cheese at the top and dressing around it. I found that very hilarious.

My crispelle made up for the salad. It was filled with cheese! All kinds of cheesy goodness! With tomato sauce surrounding it, it was like a cheese-gasm. Actually, I felt really bad about eating it due to the fact I'll gain 30lbs next morning, but it was SO good.

Last but not least, dessert! Here, I must say that the dessert was, again, not within my expectation. The torte came with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, dolce de leche and walnuts. It looked and tasted like brownies my sister makes. I didn't actually finish the dessert. I know, it's a sin, but it wasn't all that exciting anyway.

Overall, the service was what you'd expect from fine restaurants: attentive, helpful and very professional with a sense of humor. I, however, expected more from the food, considering this is the sister of the other Oliver&Bonacini restaurants such as Canoe, Oliver & Bonacini Cafe and Bar, and Auberge du Pommier. I noticed that very few people ordered the Summerlicious menu, perhaps that should've suggsted something.

No comments: