Thursday, December 6, 2007

Romagna Mia - The Full Story

Click here for summary

Everyone knows how much I love food. It's my one true passion. There was no way I'd be missing out on Winterlicious. I picked out a restaurant and dragged Darren with me. Food might be a passion of Darren's as well, but he's a dessert hater, so we won't talk about him much. Fine. I retract my statement. He's not a dessert hater. He just doesn't like cheesecakes, which is a sin (if not, should be).

Darren and I went off in search of the restaurant. Darren was the one who spotted the restaurant while I wandered around in circles trying to find it. It was tugged away behind this partking lot. The restaurant wasn't full, which was usually a bad sign, but the server who greated us was very friendly.

I had a hard time choosing between the two desserts on the menu. The server told me the best way was to choose one and make Darren choose the other, so that I could be having both. Darren immediately said, "I want the Tiramisu!", which the server found extremely hilarious. In the end, I ordered the cured beef with arugula for starter, salmon fillet for main and panna cotta for dessert. Darren ordered the cured beef as well, the phyllo-wrapped beef for main and, of course,the tiramisu for dessert. Two glasses of Kumala Merlot were ordered. The Merlot was good, better than most I've tasted. Random small talks ensued, and eventually the starters came. They were really delicious. There was a lot of different flavors: bitternessfrom the arugala, sweetness of the figs, and saltiness of the beef.

The main course took a while. I didn't try any of Darren's beef, but the salmon was not very exciting after the cured beef. I enjoyed the vegetable medley on the side more so than the salmon, but it was still good salmon (really crispy skin). Darren seemed to enjoy his beef.

And finally, DESSERT! The server came and put down both desserts in front of me, considering I'd be having both of them. The panna cotta with the Grappa liqueur on the side was delicious. Unique yet original. At first, Darren only took a small spoonful of tiramisu from me to taste, then said, "This isn't bad". More spoonfuls. "This is actually really good". Pulls tiramisu towards him. More spoonfuls. "Oooooo... espresso." More spoonfuls. Basically, I was left with around 3 spoons of tiramisu. Dessert hater my ass. And although I only had a small portion, it was enough to concluded that it was a damn good tiramisu.

The server than came back and asked if we were done. I looked down at my empty plates and said, "I believe so." The server said, "I'm just asking. Just in case you want to throw the plate at him for stealing your desserts." Funny man. He came back with the bill and put it down in front of Darren. Darren looked at him."Ummm... I believe she's the one that's paying." Indeed, I was. I'm kind of Darren's sugar mommy. The server looked at Darren, looked at me, then looked back at Darren and said, "I'm sorry. I just can't do it.You can hand the bill to her. I really can't do it."

It was good fun, good food, and a good time. I'd glad do that any time again.

No comments: